Tuesday, December 9, 2014

4th Annual Holiday Contest Entry

I wanted to try to write something for that PB Holiday contest that I posted about the other day and I haven't done anything poetic in quite sometime so I thought I would write a story in rhyme. The rules are that it has to be aimed at children 12 and under, it hast to be about a holiday in December, it has to have something to do with crazy weather, and it has to be under 350 words... so my entry will be THE CHRISTMAS TWISTER and it is 324 words long... Here it is:

The Christmas Twister
By: Shannon Marrs

It was a Christmas to remember
A crazy night in late December
When a twister tried to dismember
The small town of Little Green

The kids were in their PJ’s, sleeping
While Mom was in the kitchen sweeping
When dad went to the window peeping
At the weather through the screen

Inside they all were warm and snuggly
But big clouds in the sky looked ugly
Then from the storm it brewed so smugly
It was huge and oh so mean

The twister touched down with a furry
Which made the bugs and creatures scurry
While all the town folk watched with worry
As it put on quite a scene

It sucked up all the decorations
From the main street to the train stations
It moved with force and quick rotations
Taking all the red and green

The houses stripped of all things merry
The twister took all it could carry
The lights, the wreaths, each holly berry
Even the yard figurines

When in the sky a sleigh was spotted
Through the big clouds the reindeer trotted
As Santa steered, his course was plotted
He had come to Little Green

When Santa saw the twister spinning
He started flying toward it grinning
He reached it right at its beginning
He wrecked the twister’s routine

He found himself a place to enter
And jumped right in the twisters center
And like a magic show presenter
He took over that machine

He shrunk that big twister down to size
And then right before their merry eyes
He gave them the best Christmas surprise
A festive tree so pristine

The big twister was now upside down
And staged like a tree in the down town
With all the lights and fun it found
It’s so bright you’ll need sunscreen

Santa gave a nod and winked his eye
And his sleigh with reindeer hit the sky
The town all waved as they watched it fly
“Merry Christmas Little Green!”

38 comments:

  1. What a nifty twister Christmas poem! That Santa can tackle anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love your story. You did an amazing job rhyming. The only line that didn't make sense to me is - "He reached it right at its beginning" Doesn't Santa show up after the twister started sucking up everything in town? Or did I misread something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was intending that line to mean the beginning of the twister like where it met the clouds but I can see how that can be confusing - I'll think of some other options for that line when I revise :)

      Delete
  3. Shannon, you and Mike Allegra should consider a "green" book of holiday stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Santa stopped a twister, and certainly put a huge twist on the end of this story. Enjoyed your rhyming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Now that's excellent use for a twister! Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) it was the first thing that popped in my head when I heard weather so I just ran with it!!

      Delete
  6. Only one that tripped me up was..
    They´re all were warm. It just doesnt seem right.. maybe just they were all.. but thats just me. I saw the pictures as I read! I love it!! I wpuld buy 3 :) and a few gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon,
    Great story with a unique twist. Sorry, had to do it. Your rhyme is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey! :) Goofy humor is always appreciated here!

      Delete
  8. What a great tall-talish Christmas story. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tall tales are the best :) Part of the magic of stories :)

      Delete
  9. Great "twist" on a Christmas story. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! My grandson would love to know Santa is also a superhero. :) Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santa can do anything! YAY he just needs a cape now huh :)

      Delete
  11. What a fun surprise at the end - the twister becomes the town Christmas tree. Cool. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun rhymes, and glad to see Santa saved the day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done! That Santa is full of magic:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clever and creative, Shannon! That twister was certainly wreaking havoc with the holidays, and I love Santa's solution of turning it upside down into a Christmas tree! Excellent "twist" :) and very original! Thanks so much for joining in the holiday fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and for holding this awesome contest!

      Delete
  15. Very cool! I have an upside down tornado in my story, too! (And it just so happens to transform into a tree.) :) Great minds think alike? I like the rhyme pattern you chose, and was relieved to see that Little Green was saved in the end by a little 'ole driver. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to go check it out!! I see you're a teacher too - we have a lot in common :)

      Delete
  16. What an awesome tree that would be, yay for Santa's solution. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. And Merry Christmas to you, Shannon! What a fun rhyme...hurray for the town of Little Green (love that name).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love how Santa turns the twister upside down and it becomes a Christmas tree. Very original. Good luck in the competition!

    ReplyDelete